Guitar lessons continued from the home page....
I am a qualified guitar teacher with years of professional and teaching experience…
Let me begin by telling you a bit about myself.
I began playing the guitar back in the 1960s as a teenager. Inspired by the Beatles. I wanted to learn all of their songs and so many other great songs that were on the radio at that time.
After all, isn’t that the reason you’d like to play the guitar?
So you can play your favorite songs?
Well to continue…
I practiced and practiced and learned on my own as best as possible and progressively did get better and better. My parents were convinced I was committed to learning so they arranged for me to take lessons. My teacher was amazing. Not only did he teach me to read music, he taught me to play by ear. And, he continually challenged me to get better and better!
Here’s a quick synopsis of some of the things I’ve done as a guitarist (and entertainer).
- In 1968 as the lead guitarist in the band “The Heat” which was one of the better local bands in Edmonton (my home at the time), when the local promoter brought in “The Who” we were the band selected to open for them.
- 1974 to 1978 I was a bandleader for the “Buddy Knox Show.” Buddy was one of the original rock ‘n roll stars. His biggest hit was “Party Doll” in 1957. We toured all over Canada and the United States.
- From 1986 to 1997 I played as the house entertainer here in Oshawa at “Stav’s Steakhouse” (King Street and Wilson – at that time it was called “el Stavros”). I entertained there five days a week for 11 years.
- During that time I also wrote the music track for “C’mon Geese”. “C’mon Geese” was the documentary that Bill Lishman and his partners put together about training Canada geese to fly along with his ultra light aircraft. It was this pilot that led to the feature film “Fly Away Home.”
- I also worked at Walters music as a sales consultant and guitar teacher when it was in the Oshawa Center and on King Street.
- In 1997 I released my debut CD. I received airplay on 6o smaller markets in Canada. Many of the songs on the CD were songs that I wrote.
- In 2003 I wrote my first guitar book titled “Easiest Way Guitar”. This book focuses on 14 ways to strum the guitar at the 28 essential courts. With the aid of this book I taught numerous people to play the guitar. Some have gone on to become professional musicians and have even recorded their own CDs. One student that I am particularly proud to have taught is Daniel Caesar.
- In 2006 I moved to New Brunswick (near Saint John). While there I managed and was a sales consultant for Morris Music. I also became their busiest guitar teacher with more 50 students per week.
- In December (2013) I moved back to Oshawa where I now teach exclusively at Upscale Music Studios.
So now it’s your turn…
If you want to learn to play I can teach you. If you practice it’s guaranteed.
My method is different than most guitar teachers. I teach all of my students how to chord and strum a song on the very first lesson. And, the song is something that you want to learn. After all isn’t that the whole reason for learning? So you can play what we like!
Guitar Lessons for Students from 7 to 12 Years Old
- If you are between 7 and 12 years old I would teach you to read music and play songs by notes.
- I would also teach you how to chord and strum songs by bands that you like such as Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, etc (your choice). Ideally you would come prepared with a list of 10 songs you’d like to learn. You pick the songs. I just go to YouTube and look for the songs from your list that you could play.
Guitar Lessons for Teenagers and Adults
- If you are a teenager or an adult I usually skip the reading music part and go straight to the songs you want to learn starting with the easier ones first. But you pick the songs. Then I’d show you how to play the chords and strum.
- Also you’ll learn to play guitar riffs. (There are hundreds). If you aren’t sure what a guitar riff is, an example is the guitar part at the beginning of “Smoke on the Water” or “Sunshine of Your Love”. I’ve highlighted each song so you can click on the link to go to the videos.
- As you get better and better I’ll help you expand your capabilities by showing you how to play guitar solos and ad lib. This will get you playing the blues as well as other lead guitar styles.
- Other students may prefer to learn fingerstyle guitar. This is where you play with your thumb and fingers instead of using a flat pick. The songs “Blackbird” by the Beatles and “Dust in the Wind” by Kansas are excellent examples of fingerstyle guitar. I’ve highlighted each song she can click on the link to hear them.
Regardless of the kind of music you like, the fundamentals are the same. So I’ll teach you in a way that will be fun for you.
Give Upscale Music a call today to arrange for your lessons.
905-926-1145 or 905-259-3285
Or if you'd like to speak with me personally please call: